Thursday, June 6, 2013

Out And About

Socialization is a balancing act with young, un-vaccinated puppies.  It is important that they get out to see new things and meet new people before that critical window of opportunity ends at about 16 weeks of age, but at the same time you don't want to expose them to potentially serious disease.

I want Rundle to be socialized and confident in new situations and with new people for several different reasons.  First, it is much easier to manage a dog that takes everything in stride.  Second, Berners can have a (undesired) tendency to shyness and this is something I would prefer to avoid.  Shyness has a large hereditary component and hopefully with the careful choosing of Rundle's breeder and pedigree that won't be an issue for us, but there can be other factors involved in shyness, so I will do my best to avoid it.  Berners can be aloof, and that is fine.  I don't need a dog who thinks everyone is his best friend but I really want a dog that is confident in any situation or with any new person. The third reason I want a well socialized, confident dog is that I hope Rundle will grow up to be a fun and willing performance dog.  It is much easier to do obedience, agility, carting, etc. with a dog that is comfortable and confident anywhere they go.

Right now Rundle cannot go anywhere that unknown dogs frequent.  This means no public parks, no playgrounds and no pet stores.  I do not want to risk disease and I do not want Rundle to meet dogs that I do not know.  At this age, meeting unknown dogs (and their owners) has the potential of becoming a very bad situation for a puppy that may be scared or hurt by a dog that may not have the best canine social skills.  So I avoid that situation all together by only letting Rundle meet dogs that I know and who are good with puppies.

So, if I don't let Rundle go to the park or meet other dogs, what do we do?  Rundle gets to go somewhere different nearly every day.  So far this week we have been for a walk to the mailbox at the end of the street (Rundle being carried) to see traffic, construction workers, and people on bikes.  We have been to the hardware store to meet all the staff and see lots of new people and things.  We have been to my work where there was lots of cuddling (for Rundle) and visiting (for both of us).  We have been to the vet clinic where Rundle was passed around to all the staff and introduced to the clinic cat.  Rundle also got to go visit a Tae Kwon-Do class where there was lots of noise and activity.

So far Rundle has taken everything in stride and doesn't seem phased by any of the new things he has seen or heard.  He is accepting in meeting and being held by people he doesn't know and is curious about new sights and sounds. We will continue this type of gentle socialization for several weeks - lots of new sights and sounds but nothing too overwhelming.  

No comments:

Post a Comment